Monday, August 25, 2008

Aug. 25, 2008 Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing...

Samantha starting Kindergarten!


Payton on her first day of Kindergarten!
Today summer came to an abrupt end with the start of school. Samantha and Payton began fourth grade. This is one of those years that bring back many memories for me. I'll never forget my first year teaching in Las Vegas in 1998. I worked at an "at risk" school and never will forget the fear and nervousness I felt as I walked out onto the playground to round up about 34 fourth graders. I had one rather large girl at the front of the line with her arms crossed across her chest and the minute I spoke she said, "you country ain't you?" Let's just say that was not only a year of learning for my students but also for this born and bred Kansas native.

The girls were very excited to get to school this morning and meet their friends from the previous years and embark on yet another school adventure. It is hard to believe how much they have grown up. Yesterday wasn't quite the ending we hoped for as far as summer was concerned. They got in big trouble for being mean to one another and cutting the hair on a doll. I'm sure if you know the girls very well you can only imagine who was cutting hair! HA HA! A hair stylist in the making. Darrin quickly let them know the ground rules for this upcoming school year, reminded them who was in charge, had a little "come to Jesus" conversation, and then the girls wrote essays about just exactly what their expectations are at home and school. Hopefully that will help get the school year off to a good start. I guess time will tell and we will see. The pictures below were taken this morning. The pictures above were Kindergarten pictures. Amazing how quickly they grow up. We were laughing this morning after we dropped them off b/c in five or six short years we'll be going to the first day of Kindergarten all over again with two in high school. Are we crazy or what?











No comments: