Sunday, August 24, 2008

Kansas Trip July 30-August 4th

I decided that this will be the last time I get to go "home" to Kansas without a baby in tote. I had a couple weeks of vacation left and decided my cravings for homegrown garden vegetables had overcome me and I NEEDED to go home. I try to go home at least once a year and typically it is in the summer when I have more time off. Darrin had to stay in Las Vegas and work and the girls were with their mother, so I decided to make the trip solo. I flew on a regular jet to Denver then rode on a little 19 seat prop plane to Garden City. Needless to say by the time I arrived I was in tears and not quite sure if I was going to puke or not. It was the worst and most choppy flight I've ever taken. I don't know if it was a combination of being 7 months pregnant or just feeling like I was on a neverending roller coaster ride. It certainly isn't something I would choose to do on a regular basis.
It was so nice to see my family. My dad is 75 years young and amazes me each and everyday. He has the best memory and works circles around people half his age. He and my mom garden ever summer and on Saturdays he takes cleaned/bagged produce to the local Farmer's Market and sells it. I was so excited to get to each fresh homegrown tomatoes and cucumbers. I think I ate tomatoes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. They were so delicious and absolutely hit the spot. My mom and I enjoyed taking a card making class together at the local scrapbooking store and learned a new dry embossing technique. I was able to visit with my sister, Jana and her husband Clifford and their girls, Mackenzie and Caylea. We enjoyed a nice Sunday dinner as a family and a game of BINGO. I was also able to go with my dad to visit some of their friends at the rest home and go to church with them on Sunday and see many old friends.
I enjoyed lunch at "El Zarape" mexican food place with my good friend Steph. We were able to catch up on our lives and old friends. It was great to see her and she looks so good! The fair was going on while I was home, but I didn't make it down this year. It was rather hot and humid and I seemed to keep myself very busy getting my mom and dad set up with their new computer and wireless network. On Sunday I was able to visit my good friend, Karen. We always seem to pick up right where we leave off and stayed up talking until 5 AM, but it was so nice to get to see her and her girls.
What a fun trip and many great memories. I enjoyed getting to spend so much time with my mom and dad. It was a taste of nostalgia being at home by myself. In just a couple months my life will dramatically change. As the due date approaches our anticipation and excitement grows. We are so ready to meet this new little life. I am so excited that my parents plan to be in Las Vegas for her arrival. Hopefully they will choose to stay for a while and help me adjust to being the mother of a newborn.
Me with my good friend Steph!
Mom and Dad with me before I left to go back to Las Vegas, NV on Aug. 4, 2008. Being 7 months pregnant and flying aren't necessarily the best combination!
Me and My dad when I arrived in Garden City at the airport on July 30, 2008
My dad standing next to the cucumber plants and under the HUGE sunflower that grows in the backyard garden.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We used to grow huge sunflowers like that in our backyard in Buhler